Occultism

May 21, 1996 07:14 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960521071916.006a18b0@mail.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>the entire history of occultism and all the
>great literature which discusses it, absolutely denies the possibility of an
>"occultism" based on "faith", whether that "faith" be in a document or an
>individual. There is almost nothing on this subject upon which I think we
>can possibly agree, so why don't we just accept that fact.

My very first contact with the history of occultism was in the reading
room of the British Museum Library, where I read such ancients as
Cornelius Agrippa in the original published editions.  All such
literature was classified by the library under one heading:

Occult Science.

Which is almost a statement of empirical definition in itself.  Now, if
we can possibly agree that occultism (which *includes* modern theosophy)
is a subject which requires the scientific approach (as in the TI
statement) then maybe we could begin to get somewhere.  Do I see a
flying pig *landing*?

Alan :-)
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: