Re: Eldon Bashing vs Alexis Bashing

May 20, 1996 06:14 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Bee:
>I was so keen to join this list to learn and discuss theosophy and related
>things but I find myself disappointed by what goes in the name of theosophy.

	Personally, I am still waiting for us to agree with a definition
of what Theosophy is.  I think most agree that it contains "core teachings"
but we have yet to agree on what they are.
	The main problem that we have on theos-l is directly related
to the main problem with Theosophy itself.  Namely the third objective
versus Judge's stand on psychism.
	When I made my decision to investigate and write about
magic, it was not done lightly.  I have been a member of TS Pasadena
for over 26 years, and they do not approve of magic in any way, shape, or
form.  So, I did it without their blessings.  The TSs today still hold onto
the third objective, but do nothing about it but lip service.  This is the
central unresolved problem with the TS community, and no wonder
we find it being expressed here too.  Eldon, Rich, and others are
expressing the views of Judge that psychism is wrong, bad, evil,
and best ignored or even suppressed.  On the other hand, the "gang"
members are all theosophists who have ignored Judge's warnings,
for one reason or another, and who have decided to experiment with
various forms of psychism, and to experience it for themselves.  One
group believes that book-learning is all that we need.  The other group
believes in direct experience.  The conflicts on theos-l, by and large,
all revolve around this central issue.
	The "bashing" will not go away, until the theosophical
community itself resolves this issue, one way or another.
	Eldon and I have been "discussing" this issue ever since
theos-l began.  We are not a whole lot closer now then we were then,
but at least I think we both respect each other's views, and have
long-since stopped our bashing of each other.  I feel sure that, in
time, the other gang members will do the same.
	But I deeply wish that the theosophical leadership would
resolve this issue one way or another--either get rid of the third
objective, or let those who want to investigate it do so in peace.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI