Character incompatibility; alt.theosophy

May 20, 1996 03:03 PM
by Martin_Euser

After carefully having read the postings of a week's time I think I have come
to an understanding of what's going on here on theos-l on a deeper level.
Of course there's the question of the more 'experientially-oriented' versus
the more 'theoretical-philosophically' inclined people. That has been so for
years. It now seems evident to me that there is actually an incompatibility
of characters that is manifesting strongly here on this list.
People shouting at each other - having intrinsic difficulties of understanding
each other motives. Well, it's not unique - it happens every day.
My main concern with this is this: are we going to spend a lot of time
and energy in continuing this debate (rather than discussion) or can we find
a way to bridge the obvious gap that exists in perceptions of what theosophy
is all about?
I'm not so sure that this bridging will take place on this list - it might
happen. But it will require a great deal of effort of all subscribers, I guess.

Well, we'll see. Now to the idea of alt.theosophy:

Alexis (to JRC) >Chuck and I are commencing to set up a Alt. Theosophy net
        and I will keep you informed. Oh I'm going to stay here (unless they
chuck me out) cause it annoys then so much.

Well, excellent idea! I would love to see a newsgroup (that would be the idea-
wouldn't it?) dealing with real people's experiences - experiences of near
death for example, experiences with angels, etc. alongside with some guidance,
explanations, warnings, comfortings, etc. by some experienced people, i.e.
by those who have a fair share of  real-life experience of the 'beyond'.
This era is different than ones before - many people have witnessed and
experienced phenomena they do not fully understand. In my opinion it could
be beneficial if such a newsgroup were to be created for such purposes.

Ideally there would be an opportunity to integrate such experiences
into a newly phrased theosophy- a kind of theosophy which is in the forefront
of what's happening on this planet. Not that I don't think there are many
valuable ideas and teachings in old-style theosophy - there are!
But ask yourself a simple question: 'how can theosophy be of more value
to the current world?, 'how can we better reach out to those who want to
understand more of what's happening on this globe and in *their* lives?'.
Wouldn't this involve just some of the things I mentioned before?
In short: theosophy must be made more *practical*, dealing with issues
that are important to people *today*.
After all, *experience* is what's life is all about. The world is moving on
and so must theosophy, will it be able to reach the minds and hearts of people.

These are just some preliminary reflections and are not meant to discard
the essence of theosophy - a very noble ethical system indeed whose first
principles should be promulgated indeed- but understood
by few, partly due to its very fragmented nature and lack of recognizable
concepts and experiences. Where is the integration with transpersonal
psychology, true healing-practices, etc.? Shouldn't there be an effort
in this direction? The realms of the psyche and spirit will ultimately
have to be 'mapped' and explained more fully in order to guide people, I think.
Recognition is one of the keywords as good old Plato emphasized.

So, who else has been thinking about this kind of integration?

Martin
Member of TI