Re: Elections

May 17, 1996 11:29 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to alexis dolgorukii:

> >From what I understand the leaders of the Baha'I Movement, when it comes to
> oppressive authoritarianism, could give Iran's Mullahs a run for their
> money. How did you get involved?

While doing research for Initiates, which touches on Baha'i for
25 pages or so, I found this list of scholars who were very
helpful in providing sources, explaining historical context,
etc.

> I don't think the E.S. could or would learn from anyone or anything, and if
> you mean what i think you mean, and that is that the E.S. coul;d take
> lessons in the misuse of power from those Baha'i "Honchos", I doubt it.I
> think they're equals although the E.S. has less excuse. At least the Baha'i
> honchos are people who lead a group that preaches Theocracy, and Theocracy
> means dictatorship and tyranny as Iran clearly demonstrates.

They would reject the name, but I'm afraid they exemplify the
phenomenon.  However, as these scholars have been pointing out,
the theocratic way Baha'i has developed is not necessarily
implicit in the original writings, which in many cases extol
liberal democratic reforms.  Like Theosophy, something that had
multiple possible paths of development seems to have taken the
steepest available downhill path.  Illustrates some principle,
I reckon-- but that's rather cold comfort.

Cheers
Paul