Re: Root Races, Racism, and Reflection

May 17, 1996 12:18 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 01:19 PM 5/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Bee,
>As a metaphor for the study of human spiritual evolution, the root races are
>great.  As a literal reading human physical evolution, well, we need a lot
>more evidence.  Our big problem with them is what they have been used for,
>not by HPB, but by others and how this has tarnished both the study of
>evolution and the reputation of theosophy and theosophists.  Alex is
>particularly incensed by them, but he got shot at, at least figuratively and
>possibly literally during the civil rights movement in this country.
>Not having that kind of emotional connection, I see them as a more academic
>thing in a historic context,which is how I approach all of our literature, as
>products of the time they were written.  Our literalist (no perjorative
>intended) brethren view the concept as an exact description of how things
>work.
>When these different views meet, well that's why Theosophists argue so much.
>
>Chuck MTI, FTSA
>
>To,chuck and Bee:

Oh it was quite literally! It's called living theosophy and I have always
believed in putting myself on the line for things I believe in, and I
believe in absolute political and social equality for all humans. So,
believing in it, I was quite willing to die for it, and came close to doing so.

alexis