Re: A treatise on Cosmic Fire revisited

May 16, 1996 04:36 PM
by Kim Poulsen

To Sy, Jerry HE and Rich

Sy:
>One of the more interesting substantive things to come out of my recent
foray into Theosophical politics was contact with the Danish group, "The
Theosophical Union in Denmark" (formerly The Theosophical Society in
Denmark until expelled by Adyar for being too much into Alice Bailey).

Kim:
Hi Sy!
Maybe you would care to send me a little resume of your foray - I would
love to hear about it.

Sy:
>T.U. Denmark is indeed heavily into Alice Bailey, although allowing full
freedom of inquiry by members into anything else.  I was told they have
developed a program of study integrating Vols I and II of the Secret
Doctrine with "A Treatise on Cosmic Fire" which many of them >believe to be
the third volume of the S.D. that HPB predicted would be given out.

Kim:
Indeed they are! Regarding "Cosmic Fire" this is the general opinion here.
At least it is a magnificent companion to the Secret Doctrine.

Sy:
>Would any of you on the list care to comment on this?  I confess only to
being superficially >familiar with the book, and not to really
understanding most of it.

Kim:
Had I only been able to carry two books with me they would be "the Secret
Doctrine" and "a  Treatise on Cosmic Fire". Often I go to sleep reading one
of them and wake up with my mind working on a problem from them. They will
stay with me to the day I die - and perhaps beyond - if an average nights
sleep is anything to by.

Sy:
>The Miami Lodge has a Study Group which studies the Bailey teachings among
others.

Kim:
You are a brave man, Sy.

Sy:
>What do you make of the additional Stanzas of Dzyan given in T.C.F.?
>see Stanzas I to XIII (pp. 11-33) and 7 Esoteric Stanzas in Appendix C?

Kim:
Excellent. Especially the stanzas on the cosmic paths - they supports some
little known sayings of the Buddha. The planetary logoi are described like
this: "they dream and as their dreams take form, the worlds speed on". I
would have loved the book from the sheer beauty of this phrase alone.

Sy:
>Is there available a decent abridgement of A Treatise on Cosmic Fire?

Kim:
Unfortunately not. Actually I doubt if it can be decently abridged - there
would be less of it!

JHE:
>Whenever I meet a Bailey student, and the subject of ~Cosmic Fire~ comes
up, I always ask if >they know where in HPB's writings FB was quoting.  So
far no one has been able to tell me.  >Can any of the Bailey students on
this list help me with this question?
>Can any Blavatsky students?

Kim:
   I suggest that he probably used all references to prophesies of
"Twentieth Century" disciples, keys available in 19th c., etc and made this
assumption. Whatever the solution it is a speculation by Foster Bailey.

Rich:
>but for my part I find the Bailey teachings are not consistent
>with HPB's work (I can produce quotes and examples if anyone wants them)
and actually lead the student of both HPB and AAB into a great deal of
confusion.

Kim:
Go ahead producing, Rich - but if you want an in-depth discussion it must
wait to after my discussion with Jerry. Pure philosophy, "A Treatise on
Cosmic Fire", keyboards at 1.000.000 paces, none of the names sometimes
seen here when this subject arises.

Rich:
>Rarely is a Bailey student as well-read in Blavatsky as s/he is in Bailey.

Kim:
Rarely is a member of ULT well-read in Bailey  :-)   But I agree. Please
consider that we are talking about two authors which produced 5-10.000
pages each.

In friendship,

Kim