Re: Root Races, Racism, and Reflection

May 16, 1996 04:48 PM
by Martin_Euser

Rich>The concept of root races is rather about the development of the inner
     principles, primarily Manas, and to judge this development by outer
physical characteristics, or to assume that various "racial" groups
(so-called) on the planet today are even vaguely shadowing what
HPB is talking about, seems to me to miss the teaching entirely.

Yes, I believe you are right here in your interpretation.
But there are also some other possible ways of looking at this concept of
root races:

Consider the white race. It has almost entirely evolved along 'material lines'
for the last couple of centuries, like HPB states in the SD. This type of
evolution obviously doesn't place the white race higher than any other race
on the spiritual ladder.
It is almost the opposite. Look at the obsession with technology and material
progress. What's so spiritual in it? It seems rather a resurgence of Atlantean
obsessions. Look at gene-technology. A typical example of black magic:
manipulating
nature for personal and economical gain. The white race has led mankind into
a new kind of slavery, an utter dependence upon technology, like Jacques
Ellul, a French philosopher  has clearly analyzed and expounded.
I'm sure there's a lot more involved in this idea of root races, like cyclicity
in development. Food for historians maybe.

Martin

PS to Alexis: Nietsche has been rehabilitated by historical research.
 It was his sister who misused his work for nazi-propaganda by quoting
 his work out of context, something nazi-writers have done with HPB's
 work too.