Re: Root Races, Racism, and Reflection

May 15, 1996 05:29 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 07:29 PM 5/15/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Eldon, while I applaud your attempt to "explain away"
>the racist remarks of TS leaders, I still find that I have
>some problems.  My problem is with the teaching
>itself.  The basic premise that there is a hierarchy of
>human beings clearly implies that some are "better"
>than others.  Some are "more mature" than others.
>This whole line of thinking will lead us right into the
>conclusion that whites are superior to blacks because
>they are older and more mature.  Men are superior
>to women because they are less emotional (male=sun,
>female=moon, etc).  That primitives are "savages" and
>animals are "beasts."  Etc., etc.
>	The plain truth is that we are all homosapiens
>and genetically equal.  Whether HPB's SD is correct or
>not, it is neither politically correct, nor very nice to suggest
>inequalities.  And I can't help but grit my teeth every time I
>read G de P calling an animal a "beast."  Most animals
>are more loving and forgiving than humans are.
>	This is probably the only area of the TS core
>teaching that I simply cannot bring myself to accept.
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI

Jerry:

As you may recall, I got into some really terrible trouble on this list
recently for having the gall to suggest that the entire "Root-Race" and
so-called Racial Hierarchy concepts of so-called "Core Theosophy" was pure
balderdash. Actually, I strongly believe it's far more than simply
"balderdash" it is arrant white supremacist. There's a large body of opinion
out there in the real world that strongly believes that Theosophy and the
Old Nazis were not unconnected. I have, as you know, already defended HPB
against allegations that she was the primary inspiration for Hitler's Racial
Theories. She wasn't,  Nietzsche and Guido von Liszt were. I am beginning to
think that those of us who are not racists or other "ists" really had best
make it clear that we will not accept this aspect of Theosophical
Institutional History. And based on information I am getting from Europe and
India, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Do you remember when Chuck was
complaining bitterly about George Arundale and N. Sri Ram writing paeans to
Adolf Hitler? Well, I am beginning to think there's more to it than just
silliness.

alexis d.