Practical applications of theosophy

May 15, 1996 01:17 PM
by Martin_Euser

Reading through the postings on the above subject, I saw many useful comments.
To paraphrase Eldon a little bit: it's more _how_ we do things in our daily
life, the attitude we have towards life, than exactly _what_ we are doing.

Compare someone who is taking care of elderly in a pure routine, maybe a little
disinterested fashion, to someone who is really interested, who lets
his/her love for people flowing spontaneously in doing the job.
It makes a tremendous difference for all concerned! Maybe it's not always
directly noticeable on the 'outer planes', but it does matter greatly.
On the inner planes it _is_ noticed and felt by the elderly, and I know this
from my own experience.

There are so many possibilities of manifesting spiritual qualities that I
hardly dare to enumerate some of them, because it would seem to favor them
over other activities.

For me, I'm doing some support work for political refugees now and find it
a refreshing thing to do (I mean that it is a positive 'side-effect' of that
kind of work). Since I have a large amount of leisure at this time, I'm
participating in LETS-systems (Local Exchange Trading Sytems). I love the idea
of interest free currencies. Hopefully it will once 'beat the system' :)
You know, both in the Bible and the Koran it is explicitly stated that one
should not charge interest on loans.. I wonder why so-called Christian nations
have started this interest practice. Maybe these nations are not so Christian
at all?(Rhetoric question :))

Then we have theosophy. What _is_ theosophy? Foremost an ethical system
and a grand philosophy. Is it _that_ difficult to put into practice?
I don't think so. There are mental barriers of course that we, individually and
colectively have raised. But we, as individuals, and in groups can tear down
these barriers. Just do it. Change the system, by spiritual means , by
changing the way we think and more directly by changing structures (one
example: LETS-systems). The question is: do we stand for our principles or
prefer
emotional, intellectual and physical comfort?

To Sy Ginsburg: it almost looks like a waste of energy to remain in TSA.
If I recall your posting right then you have a thriving lodge.
Well, to give my frank opinion, I would never bow for a dictate from
above, I mean when someone is really imposing his will (especially in
theosophical affairs) . In fact, here in The Netherlands I participate in a
small theosophical group that choose to go its own course, away from the
parent TS here (not Adyar, but Point Loma). And guess what? Never before has
so much
creativity flowed through us. We are doing things we never dreamt of before,
doing the equivalent amount of work of what a fivefold or tenfold greater number
of people would normally do before. Our _choice_ has paid off well, if I may
use that phrase. Sometimes one has to take drastical steps when faced with
discord.
One cannot and should not always compromise!

Enough now. My postings become lengthy. But I hope this one provides some food
for thought.

Martin