(Enochian) Magic, astral projection, spirituality and initiation

May 15, 1996 11:44 AM
by Martin_Euser

First of all, thank you Jerry Schueler for answering my questions
on the GD and Enochian magic.

>I developed Enochian Yoga, which uses yogic techniques
>to do pretty much the same things.  My new one coming out, for
>example, uses mandalas to serve as either magical or yogic focus
>centers in order to pathwork the planes and worlds of Enochian
>Magic.

What will be the title of your new book? I might buy it to see
whether it provides some good visualization techniques.

>Leading a spiritual life, as you say, is enough for most
>people.  However, some people want to do a bit more, and experience
>the subtle invisible worlds around us directly.

Ah, the famous controverse about spiritual vs. psychic line of development
comes to my mind.

> There are dangers
>involved, as with all forms of yoga and magic.

Like getting possessed by an elemental while practising OBE/astral projection.
Motive is all-important of course. Do you warn people for dangers of this kind
in your books?

>  There are also benefits.  These mostly take the form of knowledge that
goes >beyond what you can learn in books.  The goal of this kind of stuff is
called
>initiation

Well, initiation is a term that is used very loosely by all kinds of
organisations, spiritual or pseudo-spiritual.
I remember GdP saying that leading a spiritual life in service of
mankind is the essence of the Path and I personally agree whole-heartedly
with his remark. This is the major and only *safe* route to initiations, I
think.
When we apply the esoteric wisdom to our daily lives a sound and balanced
development is the result (provided we have enough common sense).
This route also provides the necessary balanced development for those having
some psychic or paranormal qualities (partially) developed. At least it has done
and still does so for me.
Meditational practices can be useful for many as a training of the mind,
enhancing the power of visualization, &tc. In that respect I'm interested
in your books. Motive comes first and last, though.

> and every time you visit one of the inner worlds and meet
>the inhabitants, there is an initiation of some kind, and therefore a
>growth.

Well, here we may differ considerably in opinion.
The astral realms are full of illusions as anyone can find out while
phantasizing. While I do not deny the possibility of learning and growth
by certain practices, I would not encourage astral projection exercises
because these exercises per se don't garantuee a safe, balanced, growthprocess.

No need to leave the body until the fourth initiation. Then you can control
your vision of the astral realms from a higher point of view, i.e. from
a truely spiritual view. Sofar WQ Judge and GdP. Judge warns us for the dangers
of astral projection/travel. Your view will differ, although you talk about
dangers too. What about the protection of the body when one travels astrally?

Personally I see no need for projections of any kind. The Spirit within,
sometimes called the Guardian Angel, provides for initiation if the individual
is ready and worthy and the first three initiations don't require a
(complete) separation of soul and body.
I realize that there is always a big chance of misinterpretation of terms
we use in communication. The term 'initiation' is often used in the meaning
of 'getting acquainted with something new', 'an introduction into a party,
an organization, an order', etc. In that sense, you will probably get
'initiated' if you meet new people, new entities, on whatever plane. But
that use of the term is not exactly identical with the theosophical meaning,
although
related.

Maybe Alan Bain has something of value to say too on these topics
(if he is willing to ). Personal E-mail may be preferable if personal
experiences are involved.

Martin