Re: Practical Applications of Theosophy (to Chuck & Ramadoss)

May 14, 1996 11:58 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 12:05 AM 5/15/96 -0400, you wrote:

>That's exactly the wrong attitude! As I see it, the important thing
>is not for us to *find* someone to come and be gurus and chelas for
>the T.S. and teach us and others. The important thing is for us to
>realize that the responsibility is ours; we need to stop paying lip
>service to the spiritual, either hiding in books or chasing phantoms
>of the psychic, but rather *work on our own awakening* and *practice
>unselfishness.*

Eldon:

You say, and rightly, that "as long as people feel free of insult and
criticism", but how do you square that positive attitude with a line like
"chasing phantoms of the psychic" which is clearly insulting to anyone who:
1. Doesn't consider the "psychic" to be a phantom. and 2. Who sincerely
believes that study or research of things "Psychic" is an intrinsic part of
the objects of the Theosophical society? i.e The Third Object. You have, in
the past two or three weeks attempted, or so I believe, to make the point
that anyone who "chases the phantoms of the psychic" is psychotic. Is this
an example of "brotherhood? Is this being a true practitioner of Theosophy?
After all Yelena Blavatskaya was one who spent her whole life "chasing after
phantoms of the psychic". If you believe it is perfectly all right for her
to do so, how can you possibly justify vitrifying the other people who do
so. You must realize that to most educated people the Mahatmas were
"phantoms of the psychic". What you're doing, and I am afraid carefully so,
is making Theosophy anything but a safe place for people interested in the
Third Object. I totally fail to understand how any person who regards the
secret doctrine as important and valid can reject things psychic, as the
book in question was produced by psychic means by a woman who was one of the
most world famous psychics of her age. When you reject psych ism you reject
Blavatsky. And don't say she rejected it, she rejected uncontrolled or
unconscious medium ship which is an entirely different kettle of fish. You
prattle about "practicing unselfishness" and "practicing brotherhood" but I
don't see how you square that away with the constant stream of division you
direct at those who sincerely are trying to understand the "powers latent in
man".

alexis dolgorukii