Subba Row's attitude

May 13, 1996 10:13 PM
by Nicholas Weeks

>Kim to JHE:
>   The idea is utterly ridiculous -  that the author of the lectures on the
>Bhagavad Gita should be against giving out esoteric teachings (except
>to englishmen). These constitute one of the best attempts to convey the
>whole esoteric system in short-form ever published. You are furthermore
>supporting an idea by statements regarding the number of books published
>by BZ, the gratitude due to him, etc.
>   As to "giving little credence" - Dan gave no conclusion but offered two
>pieces of evidence. The first a piece which supported my case, the second
>"a possible later opinion of HPB towards TSR". In my humble opinion there
>is something rotten in the state of that letter. It send a cold shiver down
>my spine ( I am not alien to mystical interpretations either).
>   Nicholas may have built his conclusion upon the same letter. As credible
>as accusing HPB of being taken over by left-hand adepts. Perhaps old
>Sinnett got a similar letter. After the "rotten" bit I almost felt I got a
>letter too, delayed for 100 years.

Not having read every word of every post in this effusive interchange, I
may be repeating what someone else wrote.

Firstly Kim, if you have not read Sven Eek's biog. sketch of TSR in his
~Damodar~ book, please do. In that sketch HPB quotes TSR as telling her
to her face, in 1885 I think:
"You have been guilty of the most terrible of crimes. You have given out
secrets of Occultism -- the most sacred and the most hidden. Rather that
you should be sacrificed than that which was never meant for European
minds. People had too much faith in you. It was time to throw doubt into
their minds. Otherwise they should have pumped out of you all that you
know." And he is now acting on that principle.

And what better way to destroy faith in HPB and throw doubt into students
minds than, a year or two later, give out a system of "Theosophy" that
ignores and thus denigrates HPB's views. TSR also began telling Europeans
that HPB was a shell & deserted by the Masters.

See also KH's comment in 1882, that "So deep is the prejudice [against
Europeans] you see, that he [TSR] will hardly believe M. or myself, when
we assure him of your [HPB's] sincerity.

This is from the HPB letters to Sinnett. Read about TSR in that book too.

Best,

--
Nicholas <> am455@lafn.org <> Los Angeles
"Morality is water that cleanses stains of wrongdoing; it is moonlight