Re: summer school (reply to michelle)

May 12, 1996 10:02 PM
by Drpsionic

Michelle,
I don't think there is any way to make those damned seminars practical.  If
it were up to me I'd get rid of the blasted summer school and call it what it
is, a family reunion for TSA members who basically come to see friends they
only get to see one week out of the year, maybe have one or two talks a day
and then just socializing.
I am hesitant to go into details about the practical application of
theosophy.  It is different for everyone and what is right and proper and
laudable to one may be absolutely yeechy for another.  I view it as something
that cannot be taught in a class or preached about, but something that comes
naturally with experience.
In the US we have a situation where the TS is spread out all over the
landscape and except for the summer gathering of the clan we do not get to
know each other very well.  It is very difficult to create a nucleus when the
protons and neutrons, to say nothing of a few of us charming and strange
quarks, do not get time to visit because we are being bored to death by the
ten thousandth repetition of the Proem to the SD.  The ones who are
interested in it have already memorized it and do not need a seminar on it.
 The ones who are less concerned are not going to be made more interested by
being put to sleep and when you are a night person like me, nine in the
morning is the time one is just waking up, not listening to lectures.
Even so, there are those who like that sort of thing, and I would not deny
them their pleasures.  I would hope that room could be made for both.  For
while there is nothing to prevent attendees from playing hooky (and I do, a
lot) it seems that the bulk of the people there feel an obligation to attend
every session and guilty if they do not.  That's why I would like to see room
built into the schedule, so no one should feel that they are not fulfilling
their theosophical duty but missing a talk to visit with friends.

Chuck the Atrocious MTI, FTSA
Heretic
Troublemaker