Re: Nobody Knows? (Reply to Chuck)

May 12, 1996 05:22 PM
by ramadoss

At 07:00 PM 5/12/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Chuck - I agree with you that institutional Ts can get very head
>orientated, to me it often gets stuck in the form rather than the
>purpose, I bit like some dicussions around here getting stuck in the
>personal rather than the subject ;-)
>
>I have a couple of question though...
>
>> One of the problems I have with the institutional TS is that it seems to be
>> so head oriented that it forgets that there has to be a practical meaning to
>> all this.  For example, convention and summer school are coming up and we are
>> probably going to be seminared to death but when it comes to making Theosophy
>> a living thing, something is going to get seriously lost in the translation.
>>  It's that way every year.
>
>What sort of things do you thing would make seminars and conventions
>more practical?
>
>> It is almost as if the idea of action terrifies everyone.  Now I can see lots
>> of ways where it should.
>
>Would you care to share those ideas with this list? It would make a
>good discussion point - for me personally I am at a stage where I
>am focussed more on the practical application of Tsy in what I do
>rather than the in depth study of the literature.
>
>Thanks in advance....
>
>in fellowship
>Michelle

Michelle:

Add me to your request.

There are many here on theos-l for whom the practical application of TS in
what we do is more important than in depth study of the literature.

While I do not generally like to dwell much on what I do personally, I think
I should share a couple of things I have implemented in my life.

First and foremost, I always try to keep in mind that everyone of us - from
the dumb to the sharpest - from the illiterate to the most learned scholar -
from the poor and humble to the rich and powerful - from the savage to the
most spiritually advanced man/woman - is first and foremost a human being.
Once this is established, I have found it much easier to communicate and
interact with the whole cross section of people I run into. Even when
someone introduces me with the appendage of my profession, I clarify that I
am an ordinary human being and my professional hat I put on only when I am
performing my professional service. With this point of view I have a lot of
fun when someone tries to impress me with their title or profession or their
educational achievement.

There are few other things I have done over the years.  I tried to steer
clear providing services to any client who is not involved in an activity
which helps humans and other living beings and increases the quality of
life. I avoid any business which is exploiting human, animals, or nature and
avoid military related.

For example I do not deal with businesses in cattle raising, slaughterhouse
and related processing, selling, liquor and mind altering drugs,
prostitution. I even had the good fortune of steering away one of my clients
from getting into cattle raising business for which both of us are happy
now. Of course I am a practicing vegetarian and is supporting local animal
rights activities.

All the above are the result of a clearer understanding of Theosophy with
the help of Krishnaji's lectures, videos and books. And it took several
decades for me to get my thinking on these straight. I do not complain. I
hope the above may help some understand where I come from.

Cheers

        .....doss