Re: higher powers

May 11, 1996 08:55 PM
by Bee Brown

Richtay@aol.com wrote:

> I hate to walk in on this minefield, but this comment is not something
> insulting aimed at anyone in particular.
>
> Liesel wrote,
>
> > Eldon, you're totally zerschimmmelt, on this view. An adept has all sorts
> of
> > powers, psychic, mental, astral, buddhic, you name it, (s)he's got it. It
> > seems to be that your own way is through developing the mind. So that's
> your
> > way.
>
> I think Eldon may be saying something different.  The point he may be making
> is that Adepts may have all kinds of hidden powers, but many of them arise
> naturally while pursuing Raja Yoga.  The real training which one might focus
> on is developing the powers of discrimination and insight and compassion, and
> then finding that unusual psychic abilities arise as well.  A matter of
> emphasis and what exactly is being sought.
>
> But I think everyone on the board will admit that psychic (and other) powers
> NECESSARILY arise when one gets involved in spiritual development.  There's
> no way around it, as Liesel points out, in order to be "well-rounded."  For
> some people these powers appear to arise early, for some late.  But HPB and
> Judge (and Eldon) seem to be emphasizing the idea that these psychic
> abilities are "icing on the cake" and not the cake itself.
>
> Okay, now that I've stuck my neck out, by all means let the personal attacks
> come in !No attack coming.
I will always remember when I first became involved with the Federation of
Spiritual Healers 20 years ago, that they were at great pains to stress that
becoming a healer could stimulate the psychic abilities. They also said that
they were only a side issue and many a potential healer became stuck at the
psychic level because of their delight with these abilities and neglected to
continue their spiritual pursuits.

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
   Theos Int & L