Re: Psychism & Mental Illness

May 10, 1996 11:40 AM
by Jerry Schueler

>There's not much that can be said in response to that! Perhaps
>it won't be possible for all the different variants and offshoots
>of Theosophy to exist under a single tent?
>
>-- Eldon

	Well, lets all hope that it will remain possible.

	Correct me if I am wrong, and I will try to restate our
respective positions, which differ certainly, but do both come
under the same theosophical umbrella:
	You are saying that mental illnesses such as
schizophrenia are *caused* by psychism.  Is this not correct?
	I, on the other hand, am saying almost the reverse:
that schizophrenia is directly related to one's ignorance of
psychism, and that a thorough knowledge of psychism and
how it works would prevent schizophrenia, and possibly cure
it (I agree with Alexis that chemical imbalances are easier to
cure than personality disorders).  The schizophrenics that we
see today have not been practicing psychism, at least not
consciously.  But Kundalini can spring forth within us, whether
we are prepared for Her or not.  My position is that, rather than
avoiding or ignoring Her, we should get to know Her, because
knowledge of Her can prevent such things as schizophrenia
from occurring in the first place.
	If the above two outlooks are correct, then we both
share the idea that there is a connection between psychism and
schizophrenia.  The difference between our views is in what
this connection is.  Maybe its time to talk about this, without
getting emotional?

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI