Adyar leadership

May 09, 1996 04:04 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Doss,

Thank you for that history of the leaders at Adyar. It made intersting
reading, even though I don't recall anyone saying anything negative about
Sri Ram & his family, with the exception of Radha, & I think the final
judgement on her is still out.

You say
> The International and National leaders can do only so much. The activities
>and increase in membership of TS has to come about from the Lodge level, which
>means *you* and *me*. So we may have to look at our own local activities

I think
You're right up to a point. It does depend on the units because that's where
the contact is with new people, unless they join as M.A.L.'s, & then the
contact is with national, so it's national's responsiblity ... except that
now the higher ups can dictate what the units must study; except that when a
unit doesn't toe the "party line" it gets excommunicated; except that, in
the case of the enthusiastic, & knowledge hungry Russians, membership is
being greatly discouraged & hampered; except that Adyar is against becoming
part of the Internet; except that we can't get Adyar's permission to replace
the now offensive-to-many word "Brotherhood" with something more acceptable
to prospective new members. If these stones are put into the way of the
units, & manage to create a prohibitive atmosphere instead of a relaxed &
dynamic one, the units can hardly be expected to do very well with new
members. And from what people write on this list, if someone really joins,
they drop out again very quickly. Now since this is happening all over, you
can't tell me that the units are to blame.

Liesel