Re: schizophrenia

May 09, 1996 09:42 PM
by Bee Brown

liesel f. deutsch wrote:

> Donna,
>
> > It seems that
> >had her illness been treated correctly at the start, which was in the 60's,
> >perhaps it would not have progressed the way it did.
>
> You have to take into consideration that in the 60ies they didn't know very
> much about how to treat mental illnesses. I think that was about the time
> Milltown, the 1st tranqulizer, was invented. That was sort of the starting
> point of the medical/psychiatric profession finding out how to treat certain
> mental illnesses.
> What may have happened to your mother-i-l is that she improved as knowledge
> re what to do with her improved. ie the people who treated her weren't
> necessarily incompetent.
>
> Liesel

I have heard of women who have gone right off due to menopause and some have
ended up in mental institutions. I myself thought I was going nuts a few
times and I still remember one night a few years ago that I meditated all
night because I thought I would fly to bits of I didn't somehow hold it all
together. It was a scary experience. I have just come back to my normal self
after 12 years of coping with all sorts of weird things. It has been my
knowledge of alternative healing and herbal remedies that have kept me off
the heavy medical remedies that the doctors want to dish out. My present
doctor is a scream because he sees me so seldom and when he does he is at
pains to prescribe as natural as possible and gives me lenghty discourses on
the components of the stuff he wants me to take, to assure me that he is
trying to get it as natural as he can. I suspect he thinks I am a bit strange
but he humours me.

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
   Theos Int & L