Re: TS/Arundale/Sri Ram/Radha Burnier

May 10, 1996 12:24 PM
by MKR

Hi

In various postings on theos-xxxx over last several months, it has been
mentioned that Sri Ram's family has "controlled" TS and all the problems laid
at their door. It is far from truth based on what I am aware of. For those who
may not know the full family connections, I am providing a brief description.

1. The first member of the family who got into TS is Francesca Arundale. She is
the one who brought up her nephew, George Arundale since he was an infant. She
was of independent financial means and everyone who had known of George, know
that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

2. George Arundale, as a young man out of college, came to India to work for TS
and also work in other activities in which Annie Besant was involved. So when
he came to India, he was financially very self sufficient and so no TS funds
were spent on him to support him. He came to India because he believed in the
cause of Theosophy.

3. George Arundale married Rukmini Arundale. Rukmini is the daughter of
Nilakanta Sastry who was a Brahmin and was a member of TS. While Rukmini's
father was supportive, the marriage took place under great opposition from the
orthodox Brahmins of South India. (Brahmins have always spearheaded every
social and political change that took place for the better in India).

4. George and Rukmini did not have any children.

5. N. Sri Ram is the brother of Rukmini. After he graduated from college, he
went to work for Annie Besant as her private secretary. She must have found him
to be a very able and capable person. His command of English language was
appreciated even by C. Jinarajadasa. When CJ was President of TS, he routinely
consulted with Sri Ram before he put out any important written documents. It
was a labor of sacrifice that Sri Ram took and was not looking for a job which
paid lucrative salary.

6. George Arundale was elected as President of TS after Annie Besant passed
away.

7. C. Jinarajadasa, succeeded George Arundale as President of TS.

8. When CJ did not seek reelection as President, N. Sri Ram ran and elected as
President.

9. After Sri Ram passed away, John Coats was elected as President.

10. Radha Burnier is the daughter of Sri Ram. She does not have any children.

11. After John Coats passed away, both Radha Burnier and Rukmini Arundale ran
for the office of President and Radha Burnier was elected as the President.

12. I lived in India for nearly four decades (only 200 miles from Adyar) and
have met numerous members of TS in various cities. I even lived in Madras City
(Adyar is a suburb of Madras City) for four years. During all this time, I have
never heard even a *single* complaint about any of the above mentioned leaders
even though some of their administrative decisions may have been unpopular with
some members. If there had been anything going on which was out of line or
questionable, it would have come to light. Also many of the members who live at
Adyar and see what is going on at Adyar day in and day out, are all financially
independent members and many of them have held some of the highest offices in
private and public sector and pay rent for their  accommodation and not receive
any *stipend* for their work at TS Headquarters. They would not put up or
support anyone or any activity which is questionable.

13. Many times the Presidents of TS are blamed for actions coming out of the
President's office. There is a General Council, which in most cases goes along
with the President. But they do not always rubber stamp everything the
President presents. I know of a case when Annie Besant was the undisputed
leader of TS, the General Council voted down one of her proposals. As none of
the National Presidents (Secretaries) share any of the going ons in the General
Council with their national membership, wrong conclusions are drawn by members
due to lack of information.

14. The Sri Ram family has done invaluable services to TS and other related
causes.

15. Rukmini single handed brought back the Indian Dance to its modern
recognition and popularity. Today the school she started, Kalashetra is the
premier National Institution devoted to Dance, Music and Arts and some years
ago it was designated as a National University.

16. Rukmini was very active in prevention of cruelty to Animals (Brotherhood
applied to all living beings.) Everyone in India  knows about her contribution
to this cause. She was appointed to the Upper Chamber of the Indian Congress
and server as a legislator for a couple of terms. Later when she was even
offered to be appointed as the President of India, she declined.

17. Sri Ram worked for the TS for decades and decades and is one of the lowest
keyed persons I have seen. I did not even knew much about him until after he
was elected as the President of TS. So I think we all should not ignore his
sacrifices and contributions.

18. Radha Burnier, who is a protege and one of the first Dance students of
Rukmini, again worked full time for decades as the National Secretary
(President) of Indian Section and has extensive experience in dealing with the
lodges and their problems in India. Again she is of independent means and does
not depend on TS for her living. So I think we all should not ignore her
sacrifices and contributions.

19. After J Krishnamurti started speaking of his ideas of Truth and solving
human problems, the decline in the membership of TS started and TS has never
recovered from it. To place the blame on Sri Ram family or anyone else for the
lack of increase in membership of TS is not fair.

20. Even assuming that leadership at Adyar not taking correct steps, let us see
what has happened at National Level. For example with all the well known
leaders at the helm at Wheaton, the membership of TSA has not gone up in spite
of their best efforts. So leadership may not be the only reason for all the
ills.

21. After J Krishnamurti started speaking about his ideas of truth and solving
human problems, there has *never* been *any* leader of his stature and
charisma. So may be it is that his message is more needed for the present day.

22. The International and National leaders can do only so much. The activities
and increase in membership of TS has to come about from the Lodge level, which
means *you* and *me*. So we may have to look at our own local activities and
see what we can do to popularize Theosophy. It does not need any anointment
from any leaders at National and International level.

In conclusion, I think it is not fair to place any blame on Sri Ram family for
any of the problems of  TS. On the other hand, they have provided invaluable
service to TS and Theosophy and we should be grateful.

	...Doss