Re: Schizophrenia and the Psychic

May 08, 1996 12:51 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 12:32 AM 5/8/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Richard Ihle writes>
>One advantage I have found in being perhaps over-generous in my willingness
>to grant the existence of adept powers--of at least some degree, in at least
>some circumstances--to others is that I am also thereby entitled to grant
>some modicum of adeptship to myself.  As I mentioned previously, however, I
>am one of your more "homey-type" adepts--quite unlike, in most ways, those
>the prodigies one meets in theosophical literature.

Richard:

I think the "homey-type" adept, you know folks like Voltaire and Herodotus
are far more real than the "prodigies" one meets in theosophical literature.
I don't believe the "prodigies" to be real at all but rather to be "Blinds"
to divert attention away from the real ones.

>Be that as it may, I have found a curious thing about the little bit of
>adeptship I am familiar with:  Most of it does not seem to involve ~knowing
>what to do~, but rather ~knowing what NOT to do~.

Maybe it just involves KNOWING, the thing in itself.

>Now, in reading your post about the possible connection between schizophrenia
>and the psychic, I could not help asking myself, "Is it possible that Eldon
>does not realize that bringing up this presently quiescent subject
>again--especially in this manner--is going to set-off JRC and possibly Alexis
>and possibly some others in a predictable way again?"

No, Rich it's not going to "set me off", anyone who's been involved in
parapsychology and various religious alternatives for as long as I have is
quite used to the fact that the majority of our academic and scientific
communities consider the psychic function to be largely the function of
pathology. That's their right, as I see it. What one hasn't experienced is
very hard to imagine. I think many folks are afraid of psychic things
because they are afraid they will not be taken seriously by most people
(they aren't) and that as a result, people will take them less seriously.
Obviously it's not for everyone,and that is not said judgmentally. I'm an
abstract impressionist artist, that's not for everyone either.

>Oh well, if your personal adeptship was not there telling you NOT to do it,
>perhaps it will turn out better than I think. . . .
>
>Godspeed,
>
>Richard Ihle

alexis d.