Re: Schizophrenia and the Psychic

May 08, 1996 04:04 AM
by RIhle

Eldon writes>
>My thinking is that the future faculties and powers that await
>our race are not along the lines of seeing subjective
>psychological content as through it were "real".  They are not
>leading towards a greater emphasis on the subjective spheres of
>effects, the backstage to life, populated by spooks and
>elementals.  They lead, rather, I think, towards greater powers
>of understanding and comprehension, and towards powers over
>manifest nature, over nature as found on this and other spheres
>of causes.
>
>Evolution lies in growing *powers of mind*, not powers of sense
>perception. The ability to learn and understand mathematics, for
>instance, is a much "higher faculty" or "inner power" than the
>ability to see what color a rock is on the nth subplane of the
>astral. The senses we have provide us with an appropriate
>container for working on that evolution, and rebelling against
>them is like an impatient child, bored with learning, yearning to
>escape the confines of the classroom, wanting to run out and play
>at the upcoming recess.

Richard Ihle writes>
One advantage I have found in being perhaps over-generous in my willingness
to grant the existence of adept powers--of at least some degree, in at least
some circumstances--to others is that I am also thereby entitled to grant
some modicum of adeptship to myself.  As I mentioned previously, however, I
am one of your more "homey-type" adepts--quite unlike, in most ways, those
the prodigies one meets in theosophical literature.

Be that as it may, I have found a curious thing about the little bit of
adeptship I am familiar with:  Most of it does not seem to involve ~knowing
what to do~, but rather ~knowing what NOT to do~.

Thus, in reading your post about the possible connection between
schizophrenia and the psychic, I could not help asking myself, "Is it
possible that Eldon does not realize that bringing up this presently
quiescent subject again--especially in this manner--is going to set-off JRC
and possibly Alexis and possibly some others in a predictable way again?"

Then I thought, "Oh well, if Eldon's personal adeptship is not there telling
him NOT to do it, perhaps it will turn out better than I think. . . ."

Godspeed,

Richard Ihle