Re: Who's the real "Gang"?

May 07, 1996 03:32 PM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Tue, 7 May 1996 Drpsionic@aol.com wrote:

> Alex,
> There is a saying, perportedly from HPB, the "Theosophy is who Theosophy
> does."  My feeling is that one who, in the words of Voltaire, "defends the
> poor and helps the oppressed," is far closer to the spirit of theosophy than
> one who can quote the SD right and left and knows several of the Mahatmas
> area codes.  I was not kidding when I said it would be interesting if
> theosophy ever really acquired a heart.
> And the irony of all this is that Eldon is someone who should know that
> better than anyone else.  The problem is that the TS went into full reaction
> after the madness of Annie and the Bishop and retreated into an alley of
> blind intellectualism, relegating the idea of helping people to the TOS.  Now
> the Gullo's are wonderful people and this is not to reflect on them in any
> way, but the TOS has more than it's share of self-righteous baboons who turn
> off more people than all our merry gang combined.  I cannot read their
> comments on vegetarianism without having this craving for raw meat.  But the
> situation is such that many people in the TS cannot even understand how to
> show compassion at the death of a loved one of a fellow member.  And if real
> disaster strikes, they say nonsense about Karma and let the person rot.
>  That's how I acquired my housemate.  I was the only one who would take her
> in.
> I have great affection for HPB (which is why I have so much fun with her
> girth) and the Colonel not because of her writings, but because of their
> humanity.  Anyone who would go charging off to Ceylon on a bullock cart to
> toss out the damned missionaries is OK in my book.
> The time has come for the TSers to become "doers of the word and not hearers
> only."
>
> Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA, M G of 5
> Heretic
> Troublemaker

Chuck:

You have made my day.

Talking of anyone who died, I do not know how many here has heard about
Carl Stillman who was a member from Atlanta and has served on the Board
of Directors and I believe in other capacities.

When he died, there was a very small writeup- if my recollection is
correct - no more than two column inch - in AT. One the other hand there
were many unknowns to many members on whose death large amount of space
was allocated in AT to adore the contributions to TSA. I have no problem
with using any amount of space to remember any member who passed away.

However, the reduced attention paid to
Carl's death was very surprising in spite of the fact almost everyone in
the BOD knew about him (some for quite some years.) I guess his active
stance opposing the (retroactive) change in the bylaws tightening  the
requirement for the office of the President some years ago  (this change
apparently was prompted by Bing's running for the office)  may have
caused him to fall into disfavor with the powers that be.  Can somebody
who has followed all this enlighten all of us?

Facts speak louder than words.

	...doss