Re: Theory vs Practice

May 06, 1996 00:26 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:42 PM 5/5/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Alexis:
>>It is true that altruism and good deeds only go so far, and they probably
>>have nothing to do with the realm of spirit, but the do address Buddha's
>>concerns regarding the suffering of human beings.
>
>I think that altruism and good deeds are on the spiritual path, but
>the trip is a terribly slow one.  They are things that the Bodhisattva
>(and supposedly the theosophist)  does as a matter of course.
>But in addition to these things, there has to be Knowledge or
>Wisdom or Understanding, for without these, the path is endless
>and will lack meaning, and is likely to falter.
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI
>

>That is only true if you don't like" being a Bodhisattva! But of
course,that is an impossible condition. I think that before a person can
become a Bodhisattva, the knowledge has to have already been gained or
what's the motivation? One knows, and in knowingness serves. Service without
knowledge is meaningless and uneffectual. Unfortunately most Theosophists
regard Bodhisattvas the way Catholics view Saints.

alexis d.