Re: Theory vs Practice

May 05, 1996 12:53 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960505071345.0069ba50@mail.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes

>>>multi-snip<<<

>As I think I've made clear, to me, "spiritual" has only one meaning and that
>is non-carnate! If it's an intelligence center, and it hasn't got a body,
>it's a spirit. I cannot accept that certain concepts or actions by physical
>beings are more or less "spiritual" there's nothing real except energy in
>any case. But Democritus knew that an awful long time ago!

That would be my meaning of "spirit" as applied to an individual
intelligence.  "Spiritual" would therefore refer to something partaking
of the nature or effect of spirit, or tending towards the nature or
effect or realization of spirit in awareness.  Thus "spiritual"
development is a development towards realization of one's own identity
as non-carnate "spirit."

One teacher described the situation thus:

"God" is breath, and we are breaths."

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: