Re: Repugnant Doctrines

May 04, 1996 10:59 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 02:30 PM 5/4/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sat, 4 May 1996 Richtay@aol.com wrote:
>> Alexis writes,
>>
>> > Well, as far as
>> > I'm concerned, I don't like being a "target", this one can "fire back" and
>> will!
>> Um, has this become a war?  Now we're "firing" on each other?
>> > but
>> > Chuck reminded me that I don't stay to fight again, they'll win
>>
>> Wow.  Guess so.  Please, though, what are the "sides" and whom should I look
>> for to find my "enemies"?
>>
>You could start with all those you call "deluded" - a term that is the
>intellectual analog of a shot across the bow. You are certainly free to
>engage in all the missile exchanges you wish - but please don't stand
>back and pretend to be some innocent who just gets beat up and has never
>attacked others, or initiated an exchange. You hardly have some sort of
>moral high ground here.
>								-JRC
>
>JRC:

The thing I like least about this is when metaphor gets twisted into
reality. I am so very tired of being "Spin doctored". I'm very good at
English and I have never met so many people who were so good at twisting
words and meanings. A"target" as I meant it is a passive thing to shoot
arrows or bullets at, I was just attempting to use metaphor to imply that I
am not willing to be passive, and this gets turned into "war". I think
anyone with a Harvard P.H.D. could have chosen to read my words that way,
but the choice was made to be as damaging as possible. The saddest thing is
that I am beginning to feel forced into exchanges I never wanted and don't
want, and I'm wondering if there's any hig ground left for anyone. Frankly,
if a number of people hadn't made very strong cases for me remaining
subscribed to this list, I'd be out of here. I think that, in the future,
when I feel impelled by anger or resentment to write things that will
continue this exchange, I'm just going to remain silent and stay nothing and
hope others may see fit to respond in my place. I will respond only in cases
in which I can be of service to someone.

alexis d.