Re: Repartee versus substance

May 04, 1996 03:54 PM
by RIhle

Rich Taylor writes>
>However --- and this is the important point --- Theosophy teaches many
things
>which NO ONE ELSE to my knowledge is offering.  Ideas about cyclic
>evolutionary progress of the Monad which are hinted at in Buddhist and Hindu
>and Egyptian writings, but not spelled out.  The seven-fold constitution,
>anthropogenesis, the understanding of cosmic manifestation -- all these are
>unique to Theosophy in the form given, and these are the very ideas that are
>so often put down as silly or worse on this board.

Richard Ihle writes>
Hi, Rich.  Alexis once put you, Eldon, and me together in "The Gang of Three"
for some reason so I think we should be able to get along.

I am *very* interested in the "cyclic evolutionary progress" idea you
mentioned.  If my premise is correct that cosmogenesis and anthropogenesis
are both "analogical/metaphorical/mythological" derivatives of a basic
theosophical method which involves adept observation of the sequential states
of consciousness one passes through in meditation (and sleep, if one can stay
Self-aware long enough), it would follow that a similar pattern, at least in
some form, would show up in other esoteric writings.

Thus, I was keenly interested by your passing references to Egyptian,
Buddhist, and Hindu scriptures.  Although I realize that you said the cyclic
ideas were not quite "spelled out" in these places, are there some specific
writings you have in mind which might be worthy of further study as possible
"H.P.B. precursors"?

Thanks.

Godspeed,

Richard Ihle