Let them eat cake-not fruits!

May 04, 1996 01:14 PM
by Keith Price

>Kieth:
There is absolutely nothing positive I can tell you about Bubba Free John
(aka Adi Dama). He is a phenomenon of the early Seventies in San
Francisco-Berkeley. For many years I was associated with "The Meeting of The
Ways" an association of groups in the Guru Tradition, and I know for sure
that the Bubba Free Johnites weren't welcome in it. There's a lot of real
junk books he wrote all telling in great detail how incredibly wonderful he
is. Now I do want to say this, Franklin (that's his real name) is fat, he's
anglo, and he is a gay man, but the word "Fruitcake" is no more acceptable
than the word "Nigger! If you're going to sign your messages with "Namaste"
you'd best mean it for everybody. I'm not the only Gay person on this list
and I take very strong exception to words like "fag" and "fruitcake"! I
think you'd best apologize if it was a thoughtless misstatement. But if it
wasn't and you ARE a homophobe then forget about being a Buddhist because
being an anything phobe is hardly what Buddha taught!

alexis d.

Keith:

Well, I have Pluto conjunct Mercury conjunct the Midheaven which means I like to
communicate in a bold, impulsive, sometimes crude manner and use astrology to
justify all my shortcomings too boot! :)
Lighten up already! Not everyone who says nigger is a racist, or bitch is a
sexist or queer is a homophobe, but those that demand apologies and judge the
spirtituality of others from one or two words, well, perhaps could look inside
at their own insecurites and touchiness.  I think this freedom of speech is all
right as long as you agree with me and if not I'll call you a name attitude, is
worse than calling one a name, I think(?), or none of this namecalling is very
buddhic.   Well homophobe is a name too and doesn't lilt off the tounge either:)

By the way, I meant fruitcake, in the sense of "airhead", kook,  obvious
eccentric in dress and appearance. But to be honest, I started out with fruit
and added cake.  So digest  what you can and throw back the rest!

Yes, it is cruel to categorize one and inspire prejudice and perpertrate unfair
stereotypes.  But sometimes you have got to use the word that fits-my first
thought was fruitcake and almost everyone has confirmed I was right! So hang me!
Because one is homosexual would not make one any less or more of a spiritual
being (this is a topic in itself) from this fact alone.  But one has a right  to
freedom of expression of impressions and feelings, just as one has a right to
freedom of sexual expression.  You can use anger and intolerance to fight anger
and intolerance, but it doesn't change anyone,  at least not on a deep level.
You can only silence all free expressions of viewpoints!

Your mother wears army boots,
Keith Price
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Namaste anyway!