visiting theos-hell (a story)

May 04, 1996 06:18 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

It late at night here in California. The wife and children
are in bed. I'm alone at the keyboard as the full moon
shines overhead. My mind is willing, my heart is brave,
but still I hesitate. Shall I dare visit theos-hell???

There have been stories told of this place. Stories that
would keep little children up at night, stories that would
give many a grown man or woman a sleepless night.

It is said that many an adventurous soul has wandered
into this hell-realm, this place of suffering, this tala
where one's deepest feelings can get stomped upon and
one's most cherished beliefs can be ripped from one's
cowering mind! Dare I approach this realm?

Many a theosophist has spoken of this place. They have
heard of visitors having dared subscribe, then descend
into the email and actually read postings that mention
them by name! With ears turning red, pulse rising, then
red in face and trembling hands, they fumble to quickly
type out their replies, responding to the demons, some
sly and impish, that dominate this sad world.

A voice calls out from the other room, "Eldon, would
you get to bed?" And I respond, "Just a minute." Having
come this close to the laya center, I prepare to take
the plunge into the sub-abyss, and venture into this
lower plane of matter. I stand before the portal and
wonder, "Dare I enter here?"

But then I remember the bodhisattva vow, and decide
I should go there, no matter what the risk, and no
longer hesitate. Passing through the portal, I find
the world darken and see about myself the most hideous
demons! Dark, red, glowing eyes stare at me, and I
can hear the heavy breathing of deadly creatures that
stalk the unprepared in the darkness of night.

But then I hold out my hand and break a smile. And
the light from my smile brightens the place, and
daylight quickly appears. About me now is a springtime
meadow, teeming with youthful life. There are no
monsters now, just nobles and wise ones. Somehow
it is no longer a hell world. All it had been lacking
was that one smile, and now its original life has
been restored.

It now gets later, and I must leave this world. Passing
again through that portal, I reenter my home in Los
Angeles. I am back to my mundane world, my everyday
life in California. But I am a better man for the
experience. And I've left something of value behind
in theos-hell, something that will brighten the world
for those still dwelling therein.

-- Eldon, visitor to theos-hell