Re: Theory vs Practice

May 03, 1996 10:35 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 04:39 PM 5/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>I can only speak for myself, but I wonder if many get frustrated with this or
>>that approach because it doesn't address the core issue of the spritual
>>development of the individual in practical terms as opposed to theoretical and
>>historical issues.
>>
>>In other words, how do the notions of the cycles of manifestation,
>reincarnation
>>and karma help one develop all of the vehicles.  How do we stop aruging the
>>ideas and live the life?
>
>	Keith, you have touched a theosophical nerve here.  There have
>been many many good theosophists over the years who have left for
>this very reason.  TSs are strong on theory, and weak on practical
>application.  Altruism and good deeds (karma yoga) only go so far.
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI
>

>The trouble is, Jerry and Keith too, that when those of us who have sought
and found practival applications of spirit, come out and say so we are
derided by "classical core theosophy". I agree that T.S.ers are "strong on
theory and weak on practical application" But as an active Shaman I have
come up with the following questions based on experience: I. Do the "notions
of the cycles of manifestation, reincarnation, and Karma" actually represent
some kind of reality? 2. Does anything the physical conscious entity do have
much effect on the spiritual development of that entity? 3. What does "live
the life" actually mean and does it really depend on theosophical
hypothesis? 4. Do the "notions of the cycles of manifestation etc." actually
simply represent signposts pointing to an understanding of reality and the
human condition that one must find for one's self?
It is true that altruism and good deeds only go so far, and they probably
have nothing to do with the realm of spirit, but the do address Buddha's
concerns regarding the suffering of human beings.

alexis d.