Re: Doctrine-----Who are the true Revisionists?

May 03, 1996 04:08 PM
by Blavatsky Foundation

Jerry S. writes:

>	Dan, there is religion, and there is religion.  Theosophy,
>like Magic and Occultism, address our religious aspirations, and
>in that way form a living religion in the American Indian sense.
>My objection come when we start institutionalizing it as such.
>When we set up individuals as "priests" by whatever name, than
>we have lost the living religion that the MLs and HPB refer to.  So
>too when we set up certain writings as being biblical.  It is
>wrong to look at the MLs, or the SD as biblical canon, where
>every word is inspired and true.  To do this will lead down a
>very dark path.   Quotes, such as the ones you have provided,
>are excellent to allow us to see where you are coming from.  But
>as a theosophist, I don't feel any compulsion on my part to accept
>them literally as written.  These very same authors also said that
>religion is the cause of most of man's problems.

Daniel replies:

K.H. actually says:  ..."I will point out the greatest, the chief cause of
nearly
two thirds of the evils that pursue humanity *ever since that cause became
a power.*  It is religion under whatever form and in whatsoever nation...."
Asterisks added.

To me that means when a religion becomes a power that exercises control and
undue
influence over people, groups and societies. " Believe this, or ELSE..... "

KH continues later in the same letter:  "Is not man ever rady to commit any
kind of evil if told that his God or Gods demand the crime?..."  Think of
all the religious wars even in our day.

In my original post, I wrote:

>>Those who are interested in the original materials written by HPB and the
>>Masters, should consult for example, *The Key to Theosophy* and *The
>>Mahatma Letters*.  Also consult the index (Volume 15) to HPB's
>>*Collected Writings*.

Jerry S. replies:

>	This is very close to being condescending.  Or is this your
>library background speaking?

If you view it as condescending, then that is your perception.  It was meant
to be helpful,
especially the reference to the Volume 15 index.  The interested reader would
find alot to read and study by looking up terms like "doctrine", "Theosophy,"
"dogma.", related terms, etc.  Maybe someone on this list might not know
about that index volume, which I believe is a wonderful tool for serious
students of HPB's collected articles.
And there are other relevant passages on Doctrines versus Dogmas in the KEY
and the MLs.
No doubt, Jerry, you are well aware of these works, but others may not be.

If I had the time I would have posted other relevant extracts.  I didn't so
that's why I gave
the references.
DHC