nucleus of "Brotherhood"

May 03, 1996 03:55 PM
by Kim Poulsen

Liesel:
>In answer to your not wanting to change this nomenclature, I'm very
>definitely against calling it "Brotherhood". I'm not a brother, in or out
of
>the ES. I'm a sister, & I feel excluded, as would any number of younger
>women in the US.

Dear Liesel,

actually I did not advocate to reinstate the term, I merely regretted the
loss of some of the meaning. In my opinion the meaning "a nucleous of the
spiritual hierarchy within humanity" is completely lost. I can easily sign
my name under the new objects however.

>Kim, if you can come up with something that suits you better than
>"nucleus of the human family", I'd probably go along with it, but calling
me >a brother just rubs me the wrong way.

   :-)  I have tried to figure something out for months. Sister- and
brotherhood sounds rather silly. By the way, a lot of the gender-related
terms in english are neutral in my language.

>I hope you can understand my point of view.

   Easily, Liesel. It may be that the idea cannot be rendered satifactorily
in english. It is the *idea* I like. Alan put the "universal" back in,
which is a great improvement. "Brother-" is obviously hopeless.

In friendship,

Kim