Re: your signature to Danny Boy

Apr 30, 1996 10:24 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:25 PM 4/29/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Alex,
>Very interesting.  The quote is usually attributed to Simon himself in
>response to a knight asking what to with the civilians after the battle was
>over since the Xtians and the Alibgensians all looked alike.
>I wonder if liked the T-shirts paraphrasing him that were so popular about 15
>years ago.
>
>Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA, M G of 5
>Heretic
>Troublemaker
>
>"And Simon sayeth unto the Bishop of Beauvais, ' Oh Goodie!'"  The Chronicle
>of St. Hildebrand of the Gout
>
>Well, as I have it, it was Simon de Montfort himself (he was the militarty
commander of the crusade) went to the Papal Legate (The Bishop of Beauvais)
just immediately to the fall of the city and asked him how they were to
seperate the Cathars or Albigensians from the many good Catholics who lived
in the City..the Bishop then made the famous reply: "Kill them all, God will
know his own". This is one of the immense multitude of anecdotes which
condemn Catholicism. Simon de Montfort was, due to almost boundless ambition
(a hereditory trait it seems, as it led his son and grandson to bad deaths)
not a "nive" man, but he was better by far than any Catholic Bishop in his age.

alexis