Re: Is this a Theosophist List?

Apr 30, 1996 04:19 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Rich Taylor writes:

>My point is not tht Theosophy was ever FOR the few, but that
>only the FEW are able to grasp what is being taught, and for
>them HPB gave herself entirely.

      Sadly, I think there is far more truth here in Rich's
statement than one might first suspect.  Though theosophical
ideas were given out to all who were able to grasp them, in the
end, only a few are able to truly grasp and internalize these
ideas.  I think HPB makes this clear by the way she dedicates her
books:
      HPB's first book ~Isis Unveiled~ was a popular exposition of
Theosophy that hinted at Theosophical doctrines more than
expounding upon them.  Here, HPB dedicated this book to the
Theosophical Society--a growing audience of seekers at the time.
      Her second book, ~The Secret Doctrine~ is a far more
technical work and expounds upon those doctrines that are only
hinted in ~Isis.~  HPB dedicated the SD to "all true
Theosophists, in every country and every race, for they called it
forth, and for them it was recorded."  Considering HPB's off
handed remark that she had personally known only about a "half
dozen" Theosophists in her life time, it is clear that she made a
distinction between members of the TS and Theosophists.  So if
the members of the TS make up a small audience, "Theosophists,"
or people who actually live a theosophical life, make up an even
smaller one.
      In her third major book is the ~The Key to Theosophy~  The
Theosophical doctrines.  Here, HPB dedicates this book "to all
her pupils, that they may learn and teach in their turn."  The
people that can be counted among HPB's personal pupils are only
about a dozen.
      HPB's final book was, ~The Voice of the Silence.~  Here, we
have what HPB called "the heart doctrine" of theosophy.  It is
purely concerned with ethics and the sacrifices required for
discipleship.  It is "dedicated to the few."
      Therefore, as each of her books went in turn more deeply and
comprehensively into the true nature of theosophy and towards the
heart doctrine, each was dedicated to a smaller and smaller
audience.

JHE

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |