Re: Is this a Theosophical List?:JRC's comments: How relevant are these comments?

Apr 28, 1996 06:15 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Daniel,

You may be on to something. We could start doing missionary work, as the
Mormons do.
Like at one of our Summer Schools, long time ago, it was suggested that we
advertise ourselves by giving free talks on comparative religion, or
Budhism, or Theosophy, or the New Age true & false, at neighboring colleges.
Another suggestion was to invite a variety of ministers to Lodge meetings,
to explain the philosophies or garb, or a number of other items of interest,
which they got on a list before they came. That'd broadcast theosophy. Local
groups could start local TOS projects, like vegetarian soup kitchens, or
Montessori kindergartens. For the large lodges who own houses maybe there
could even be midnight basketball, if not, there could for sure be a
tutoring program, where 1 parent family kids could get help with their
school work while relating to role models. Or maybe somebody could get kids
interested in a Theosophical Round Table. Kids need something positive to do
these days, anything will help. Anything is better than hanging around
street corners, not knowing what to do next & waiting for trouble to happen.
I'm not even talking about what Jerry is doing, trying to straighten out
abused kids in his home, which is a full time job; Im talking about 1 or 2
afternoons, or evenings a week.

If someone starts telling you that's not what Theosophists do, well, it
belongs properly under the aegis of the TOS, and that's real easy. Long time
ago, when I asked someone at the TOS for a community project to do, the
answer came back that I should find my own. I don't think he even wanted a
report on it. All you have to do is say it's under the aegis of the TOS, pay
your TOS dues & voila. Brotherhood applied in the neighborhood.

How about it?

Liesel
Member TI