Re: stray comments on anthropology-biology

Apr 28, 1996 01:01 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Eldon, I enjoyed your post on this.  And I agree with everything
except the following two paragraphs:

> We are capable of (but not trained in) existing apart
>   from the physical body, and could function as full humans
>   minus the lowest principle, the physical body, the
 >  Sthula Sarira. We would exist in our full awareness,
 >  including sense perception, but not have a concrete,
 >  organic anchor to call "me".

I am not so sure that we can function "as full humans minus
the lowest principle, the Sthula Sarira."  First of all, the Sthula
sarira is not a principle, but a body.  Secondly, we don't need
a physical body to have a sense of identity or "me" because
any body will do.  We can't exist on any plane without a
suitable body of some kind, which is always used as a
referment or anchor for our sense of identity.

> With sufficient training, we could create an ad hoc
>  "anchor", the mayavi rupa, which would be something
>  like a self-created materialization on whatever plane
>  we would exist on.

	Here is one instance where I think you and
JHE are plain wrong.  You both seem to think that the mayavi-
rupa is the *only* subtle body in town.  It is not.  It is the
one consciously created by an Adept (actually an Initiate
can do this too) but everyone has a subtle body, automatically
and without effort.  The difference is in memory--most people
forgetting all experiences after their return to the physical
while the mayavi-rupa allows the brain to accept and retain
memory.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI