Re: Mary Renault

Apr 28, 1996 11:56 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 08:49 AM 4/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Alex,
>NO NO NO!!!  Alexander died of pneumonia in Babylon as the result of a chest
>wound received during a battle in India against the Malians.  He was
>attacking their city and as his armor prevented them them from injuring him
>with their swords, they just stood off and shot arrows at him until one of
>the arrows penetrated his breastplate, bringing him down.  His men,
>infuriated at seeing him fall and thinking him dead attacked with such fury
>that they did not stop until the entire population of the city had been
>killed.
>My source for this is "The Nature of Alexander" by Mary Renault.
>
>Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA, MG of 5
>Heretic
>Troublemaker
>
>"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
>
>Chuck:

I love Mary Renault's books, and I own most of them, and have read and
re-read them. But for cheese's sake, she's a novelist! That story doesn't
match with history at all. But it's great story telling. I think the woman
is a very great novelist, but I don't accept her as an historian. There's an
entire section in my library on classical civilization, those are the books
I rely on. Mary Renault's in the "Literary/Novels" section. Until we move my
Library is in Three separate rooms, it's alphabetized, and divided into not
only categories but purpose. "Serious" Books are in my Study, Novels and
Literatures in the hallway, and metaphysical and occult books in the front
living room. Now they'll all go down in the big library of the new
house...all my books in one place....I am so anxious. Chuck, I am getting
very tired of this board and some o the people on it.

alexis the arrogant
the eclectic person
veritas vincit omnia
member:"Gang of Five"
"AN IT HARM NONE...DO WHAT THOU WILT SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE LAW".