Re: Alexis to JRC

Apr 28, 1996 11:44 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 03:10 AM 4/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
JRC;

After reading carefully Eldon's two really long 'dissertations" to you and
another to me that was so long I had to save it to disk to be able to read
it. I have the following questions and/or comments:

1. Do you think anyone, no matter how qualified, will ever have a meaningful
"give-take" discussion with any of those people? One of the worst things
about fundamentalists of any stripe, and that clearly is what we're dealing
with, is that they refuse to really listen to the opinions of others, and
they absolutely refuse to hear any disagreement with their dogmas. I gave up
on RichTay because to disagree with him is heresy and anyone who does it is
per se malevolently intended.

2. Do you realize that you, and I, Chuck, Alan, and Jerry Schueler, and some
others I'm not ready to name, are actually the only "traditional"
theosophists who regularly express themselves on this list? The others can
only be described as Pharisees. I cannot begin to cite how many times and
places in the earliest theosophical literature the words (or some variation
thereupon): "THEOSOPHY HAS NO DOGMA, NO DOCTRINE" appear. And now Eldon et
al are saying it does. Who then is the revisionist?

3. We are accused of being "anarchists" and "heretics" by a group of people
who have totally subverted theosophy into a narrow sect. A cult based
entirely on an intellectual fascination with things they cannot experience.
A cult that is terrified that anyone might have an unauthorized, or "heavens
forfend" an original idea. This is why The Theosophical Society (all three
of them) is rapidly becoming more and more irrelevant.

4. Am I right when I say that you think, as I do, that theosophy is intended
to be an attitude towards the "follow up" of the three objects?

5. Am I right, when I think that you too, as well as I, are getting very
tired of the Pharisees continual "harping" and "sniping" and rudeness?

6. Am I right when I say I think that you too feel that THEOSOPHY of the
Wheaton/Adyar, ULT, TSAP, varieties are hindering rather than promoting the
three objects?

7. What shall we do?

alexis