Re: Question about "Facts Underlying Adept Biographies"

Apr 26, 1996 07:02 PM
by Alan

In message <3180FD9A@mortar.bpa.gov>, "Porreco, Nick - CPMQ"
<nlporreco@bpa.gov> writes
>The last words, as given from the cross, are found in the first two
>Gospels, in Matthew, chapter xxvii, verse 46, and in Mark, chapter xv, verse
>34: 'Eli, 'Eli, lamah shavahhtani.  These words, called "the cry on the
>cross," have been translated into Greek in the Christian New Testament as
>follows, and this is the English rendering of the Greek translation: 'My
>God! My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?"  This is a false translation into
>Greek

Actually, it is a transliteration, not a translation.  The Greek has
"sabachthani" (as rendered into English) as Greek has no equivalent of
the Hebrew/Aramaic "Shin" - so is the transliteration a Shin or a
Samech?  The Aramaic Peshitta text has "Eil, Eil; lmana Shwaqthan" - "My
God, My God, for this I was kept."  [Mar Aprem, ~Teach Yourself
Aramaic~; Mar Narsai Press, Trichur, Kerala, India, 1981].

Where G de P got his ideas about initiations from I can only wonder.
BTW - I do not think this posting is relevant to theos-roots; theos-buds
perhaps, but I am relying to the list you posted to.

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age