Re: To Dan on Statistical Significance

Apr 27, 1996 05:07 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Dan to Alexis:
>For example, in an 1988  report prepared under the auspices of the National
>Academy of Sciences,  the following conclusions were drawn:
>
>"...the best scientific evidence does not justify the conclusion that
>ESP...exists."
>"...Nor does scientific evidence offer support for the existence of
>psychokinesis...."
>"The Commitee finds no scientific justification from reserach conducted over
>a period of 130 years for the existence of parapsychological phenomena."

	Dan, as you well know, all of these scientific tests use
statistics, and the results do not show that *no* ESP etc. exists,
but rather that there is no statisitical significance to the results.
Science has found no statistical significance for at least 60 years
now of any occult phenomena including astrology.  This does
not mean it doesn't exist, only that it is not prevelant enough
to measure statisically.  What I am saying here is that your
quotes don't prove anything.  Science is right.  Occultism is
also right.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI