comments on anthropology-biology

Apr 27, 1996 12:41 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960427014640.00687e94@mail.deltanet.com>, "Eldon B.
Tucker" <eldon@theosophy.com> writes
>1. The "survival of the fittest" explanation of evolution
>   seems philosophically flawed. That is, it does not describe
>   what happens very well. It should be "survival of the
>   cooperators". Life is a cooperative endeavor, and as
>   changes happen, those species that don't adapt to the
>   changes and carve out new ecological niches to exist in
>   -- they die off. The important point here is cooperation
>   with others being important, not competitive individualism.

As Kropotkin ("Mutual Aid") pointed out in 1902, *with* examples
gathered from nature and scientific observation.  The text of this work
is available on the Web, if you have a suitable browser.  Try and Alta
Vista search on Kroptkin - and although this book is part of an
anarchist archive K was a qualified researcher who *became* an
anarchist.  It may be that Nick Porreco still has a hardback copy for
sale - he kindly sent me a pb copy as a gesture of TI goodwill - now
tha'ts what I call theosophical "brotherhood"!

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age