Re: and again

Apr 26, 1996 11:19 AM
by Bee Brown

Jerry Hejka-Ekins wrote:

> Bee Brown writes:
>
> >I am beginning to get the idea that Theosophy to begin with was
> >very piecemeal and evolved bit by bit over a period of time.
>
> JHE
>       That is one interpretation, and a very reasonable one if you
> reject the idea of the Masters being behind the TS and having a
> grand plan in mind.

Many thanks for this post. Just what I was hoping to get back as I know
that I am reading Olcotts view of things. They are very interesting but
I realise that the driving force behind it all was the Masters. It sort
of brings a down to earth perspective of it all for me, anyway. Olcott
was a sincere man but we all know how easy it is to believe what we
really want to.

> BB
> >Olcott says that when Isis was written neither he nor HPB were
> >familiar with the later reincarnation theories that became part
> >of Theosophy.
>
> JHE
>       This is Olcott's version.  Obviously he didn't know anything
> about reincarnation, and since HPB didn't discuss the subject
> with him, he assumed she was ignorant of the subject also.
>       Historically, ~Isis~ was published in 1877.  The after-death
> states and reincarnation were not introduced until after the
> introduction of the seven principle schema, which was in turn
> introduced in 1880.  I think the significant question here is how
> could HPB have made her teachings concerning after-death states
> and reincarnation comprehensible without first giving a
> foundation of the seven principles?  Personally, I don't see how
> it could have been done.  Therefore, I would suggest an alternate
> interpretation that HPB was indeed familiar with the later
> reincarnation teaching, but could not broach that subject until
> the seven principle schema was first given out.

This is where Olcott gives the impression that HPB was not a learned
person, very psychic and in most unusual ways but she could see the
astral books that the Masters showed her but in reality she (Helena) had
not physically read them. I get the impression that HPB's psychic
abilities and her special constitution was what caused the Masters to
bring her to Tibet and streamline her so that they could use her to
enlighten the West. At times it was only 'M' who was strongwilled enough
to do battle with her when she was being difficult. All this gives the
impression that HPB provided the physical body, (certainly to begin
with) and only later in the piece had she become familiar with the
Masters teachings. She was bright and curious person so it probably
didn't take long to become familiar with what the Masters were teaching
through her.
These are just some impressions I have gained and I appreciate your
thoughts and corrections as I know of your interest in the history of
Theosophy.

> JHE

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.