Re: The Gang of Four ??????

Apr 25, 1996 09:37 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960425080121.006b2dd0@mail.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>As I see it, all religions
>are dead, and none of them have any inner light, though certainly there are
>individuals that do. I want people free to develop and free their own inner
>light, in a way I'm a sort of anarchist as anyone who reads my book knows,
>but it's a kind of anarchy the human race won't be ready for in a thousand
>years. I assume the rest of the "gang" will post their own responses.
>
>alexis dolgorukii

If they were all dead, the "Christian Right" would have no influence in
the U.S.A.

In my understanding, your objection is to *organised, hierarchical, and
power-dominated* religion(s).  Insofar as there is a "religious" impulse
in muman beings (and both history and psychology suggest that there is)
it is an impulse to "bond" [the origin of the latin *religio* acc. to
many] and to do so in a spiritual context for spiritual nourishment
(whatever that may mean to whoever does it).

There *is* an "inner light" in religious practice - such is my
empirically-discovered experience.  In an ideal future, it may well take
on an anarchic form such as you suggest, but we are not in an ideal
future, and pro tem must make the best of what we've got.  That's
exactly what you do with your Shamanism, as I understand your telling of
it.  Which could [stands back in defensive posture] be interpreted as
your presenting yourself as a priest of the Shamanist religion ...

<ENORMOUS INGRATIATING SMILE>

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: