Re: and again

Apr 26, 1996 10:52 AM
by Bee Brown

alexis dolgorukii wrote:

> >I am beginning to get the idea that Theosophy to begin with was very
> >piecemeal and evolved bit by bit over a period of time. Olcott says that when
> >Isis was written neither he nor HPB were familiar with the later
> >reincarnation theories that became part of Theosophy. They were writing their
> >things in USA while Sinnet and Hume were doing their thing in India with the
> >help of the Mahatmas. It seem to have been when they all met up that the
> >teachings expanded into the SD type of affair. In USA it was phenomena that
> >held Olcott's interest and HPB was at the centre of a lot of it and also
> >publically busy argueing with many of their detractors. I get the impression
> >that most of Isis and the SD were not written by the HPB that was Helena
> >Blavatsky but her physical part was used by the adepts to write with. She
> >herself did some bits but Olcott complains about the mess she made with her
> >cut and paste method of writing.
>
> Goodness knows she'd have loved a computer word processor! Anyone who "cuts
> and pastes" does! But you know Bee I really think your analysis of "how it
> was" is pretty near the mark (Not having been there we'll never actually
> "know"). I myself, see a "gap" as it were between the motivations revealed
> in "Isis" and in the various records of the earliest T.S. Meetings and what
> went on later after the removal to India. It almost seems like a different
> organization altogether.

 From my reading of it, it did not become Theosophy as we know it till after
Isis, and Olcott admits later that there were views in there that later were
changed and enlarged because they did not have the full story at that time.
He wondered why the Mahatmas allowed them to publish the views on
reincarnation that he and HPB held then (1875), before they were taught the
later teachings on that aspect. The things is that it was mostly HPB's
Somebodies that wrote Isis by various methods and by various Somebodies
taking turns so it is no wonder that it gets a bit jumbled and a lot of the
teachings were new to Olcott and HPB as well. They spent much time discussing
what they had learned and it would take a while to put it into practice. They
were willing accomplices of the Mahatmas and many time did as they were told
without really knowing the full impact of the actions or why they were doing
it.

 The earliest motivation and/or agenda of theosophy