Re: good thinking

Apr 25, 1996 08:46 PM
by Bee Brown

alexis dolgorukii wrote:

> At 05:17 PM 4/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Just a little aside to this. Olcott says that The Society sprang from
> >interest by some persons to study occult phenomena and the Theosophical
> >Society was formed for this purpose.
> >"The Brotherhood plank in the Society's future platform was, therefore, not
> >thought of: later on, however, when our sphere of influence extended so as to
> >bring us into relations with Asiatics and their religions and social systems,
> >it became a necessity, and, in fact, the corner-stone of our edifice."
> >
> >Would this suggest that the Brotherhood bit was to start with was to overcome
> >racist prejudices in the ordinary sense and not the deal with the spiritual
> >oneness of all? This appears to have come later after the SD was written.
> >

> >   Bee Brown
> >   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
> >   Theos Int & L
> >
> >Bee: That's extremely astute of you. I really think you are absolutely
> correct on the subject of the motivastion of the people who founded Theosophy.
>
> alexis dolgorukii
> The Eclectic Theosophist
I am beginning to get the idea that Theosophy to begin with was very
piecemeal and evolved bit by bit over a period of time. Olcott says that when
Isis was written neither he nor HPB were familiar with the later
reincarnation theories that became part of Theosophy. They were writing their
things in USA while Sinnet and Hume were doing their thing in India with the
help of the Mahatmas. It seem to have been when they all met up that the
teachings expanded into the SD type of affair. In USA it was phenomena that
held Olcott's interest and HPB was at the centre of a lot of it and also
publically busy argueing with many of their detractors. I get the impression
that most of Isis and the SD were not written by the HPB that was Helena
Blavatsky but her physical part was used by the adepts to write with. She
herself did some bits but Olcott complains about the mess she made with her
cut and paste method of writing.
Have you read what he had to say about her temper and that of your relatives
in general? A stroppy lot by the sounds of it.