HBP"S Somebodies

Apr 25, 1996 08:31 AM
by Bee Brown

I would like to pass on a humerous incident from Olcott's Old Diary Leaves
that I have so much enjoyed reading. It gives a human  look at the time of
1875 when they were working on Isis Unveiled and he says that it was written
in 4 different ways, one of which was 4 Mahatmas using HPB's body as a
writing machine while she went off in her astral body and attended to her
occult business. Olcott calls them Somebody I, Somebody II etc, and can tell
by the physical expression and the handwriting just who is in the body at any
given time. Here is a paragraph from Vol 1 page 249

"But I wish to say again, as distinctly as possible, that, not even from the
wisest and noblest of these HPB Somebodies did I ever get the least
encouragement to either regard them as infallible, omniscient, or omnipotent.
There was never the least show of a wish on their part that I should worship
them, mention them with bated breath, or regard as inspired what they either
wrote with HPB's body, or dictated to her as their amanuensis. I was made
simply to look upon them as men, my fellow-mortals; wiser, truly, infinitely
more advanced than I, but only because of their having preceeded me on the
normal path of human evolution. Slavishness and indiscriminate adulation they
loathed, telling me that they were usually but the cloaks to selfishness,
conceit, and moral limpness. Their candid opinions were frequently vouchsafed
to me after the departure of some of these flattering visitors, and it would
have sent any of my readers into a fit of laughter if they had been there one
evening after a gushing lady had bade us good-night. Before leaving she
petted HPB, sat on the arm of her chair, patted her hand and kissed her on
the cheek; I standing near by and seeing the blank despair depicted in the
(male) Somebody's face. I conducted the lady to the door, returned to the
room, and almost exploded with merriment when the ascetic Somebody - a
sexless 'sadhoo' if there ever was one - turned his mournful eyes at me and
in an accent of indescribable melancholy said, "She KISSED me!" It was too
much; I had to sit down."

I really recommend this book for information therein about psychic things and
the start of the Society, the whys and wherefores and the method of writing
Isis is really interesting.

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
   Theos Int & L