re: rigidity/flexibility

Apr 22, 1996 07:44 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Paul Johnson writes:

>The bottom line is-- regardless of where they stand
>on the liberal-conservative spectrum, Theosophists tend to be
>inflexible.  How often does anyone post here along the lines of
>"here's a new thought I never had before, a new book containing
>information I never knew before, an emotional response I never
>felt before"?  Mostly, people tend to just repeat their strong
>allegiance to their own point of view, rather than yielding,
>modifying, growing.  At least this is so in comparison to
>Medit-l, which is full of people more interested in daily
>practice than abstract theorizing, more concerned with
>understanding others of different viewpoints than with
>triumphing over them.

Paul,

      It is interesting how we have such a different view of
theos-l.  My experience has been that I learn something new
almost every time I call up this list.  After all, the opinions
and views are amazingly divergent here.  We have the points of
views of Kabbalists, Magicians, Mystics, students of Theosophical
doctrines of many varieties and schools, etc.  The fields of
interests and knowledge here goes far beyond my own small areas
of knowledge.  As far as flexablilty--like humanity in general,
some participants seem to be more flexible than others--but I
wouldn't call them "inflexible."
      At any rate, I'm pleased to hear that you have found a board
that better meets your needs.  Enjoy.

JHE

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |