Re: education - was Thank you

Apr 23, 1996 11:52 AM
by Michael W. Grenier

alexis dolgorukii wrote:
> But there's one other question. Considering that
> our teachers in the USA are vastly underpaid considering the value of their
> product, and to go along with that they are the objects of almost totally
> disrespect by American society, what can we expect?

The private school where my kids now go to have teachers who get paid less
than their public school counterparts and yet the kids are getting
a much better education. Actually, I don't blame the teachers -
they as individuals have little say.

My wife is heavily involved in what you call the religious right with
most of her friends either home schooling or trying to pay for
private education. None of those families has any big agenda - they just
want a good education for their kids and the public school isn't
providing it. Families locally got so upset that they suceeded in
putting in their own school board but then we find that it too
has little control. All of the real control is at the state and
federal levels, not to mention teachers unions.

Yes, I agree that there is a big problem with parents who are
too busy in their own lives to get involved with their own
children. Its really sad. But its also sad that for those
parents that want to get involved, there is little opportunity
unless they have the financial resources to support it (e.g. go
private). Except of course for the obvious like reading to
your children when they are young - which I find to be lots
of fun (my kids are 4, 6, and 8).

> I would be willing to support a "voucher system" providing it was not
> possible to spend the vouchers at religious schools.

I hope you would support a voucher at a Catholic or other religous school
as long as it was not spent on religous education.

Anyway, thanks for your views. I suspect we could get along fine.
   -Mike