Re: Thank you

Apr 22, 1996 02:13 PM
by Michael W. Grenier

alexis dolgorukii wrote:
> Obviously I
> agree with you and I'd like to point out that one of the primary goals of
> the "Religious Right" as it is manifesting in the world today, and
> especially in this country, is the absolute destruction of public education.

With good reason at least here in the U.S.

The performance of our public education, especially
considering the amount of money spent, is dismal compared to other countries.
The complete inability for parents to get involved in their childs education
is another factor with more and more control moving to state and federal
levels.

Obviously, I'm a big supporter of alternative education including vouchers,
tax credits for education expenses, etc. Here in Minnesota, gambling is tax
deductable but education isn't!

Even members of our local school board have told me that they wouldn't
put their own kids into the public school...not to mention the number
of student sucides lately here. I remember talking to the kindegarden
teacher at the public school when considering to put my son there who
told me that my son is too advanced and would only be entertained
for a year since they teach to the lowest common demoninator.

Granted, there is a fringe of radical right that would cut out
education that does not agree with their views and I certainly don't
support that. However, I can understand the views of concerned
parents who are opposed to some of the stuff taught to their
kids.

   -Mike Grenier
   mike@planet8.eag.unisysgsg.com