Re: Theosophy/Theosophical Society

Apr 22, 1996 07:00 AM
by Rodolfo Don

>In the letter from the Great Master (that is just posted), there are two
>statements which caught my attention.

>1. "As we find the world now, whether Christian, Mussulman, or Pagan,
>   justice is disregarded, and honour and mercy are both flung to the
>   winds."
>
>2. "And it is we, the humble disciples of these perfect Lamas, who are
>   expected to allow the Theosophical Society to drop its noblest title,
>   that of the Brotherhood of Humanity, to become a simple school of
>   philosophy! No, no, good brothers, you have been labouring under the
>   mistake too long already. Let us understand each other. He who does
>   not feel competent to grasp the noble idea sufficiently to work for
>   it, need not undertake a task too heavy for him. But there is hardly a
>   Theosophist in the whole Society unable to effectually help it by
>   correcting erroneous impressions of outsiders, by himself actually
>   propagating this idea. Oh! for noble and unselfish men to help us
>   effectually in that divine task! All our knowledge, past and present,
>   would not be sufficient to repay him."

>Several questions that comes up are:
>
>1. When we all the wars and killing that is going on around the world in the
>name of nationalism, religion and pure politics, are things improving around
>the world?

Definitely things are not improving in the world, nor in the Theosophical
Society for that matter. If we look at the TS (all theosophical groups) as
a world microcosm. Our human interactions become a battle of the egos. Any
attempt to form a real Brotherhood of Humanity goes down the drain.

>2. Again and again, in many of the Mahatma Letters to Sinnett, the need for
>the establishing a Brotherhood of Humanity is mentioned as the most
>important objective of Theosophical Society. It is because of this, I
>believe, the First Object of the TS is this. Much valuable information was
>given out by HPB and other writers dealing with Man and the Universe. There
>seems to be an implication even then in 1880, there was some great emphasis
>on "school of philosophy" while unequivocally this letter states that what
>was expected of all of us is to work towards this noble idea of Brotherhood
>of Humanity. They were looking for noble and unselfish persons to help them
>in this very important task and how very grateful They are to any one who
>gives a helping hand in this task.

Again, we see right here from the Chief Himself, that the main (maybe the
only) reason for the founding of the Theosophical Society is to form a
nucleus of the Universal Brotherhood of Humanity. Everything else is
unimportant. Do we keep that in mind when we interact with eachother?

>3. Considering the non increase in the membership (and possibly gradual
>decline), is there something that all of us are not doing right? Is there
>too much emphasis placed on the philosophy and not many are turned on to be
>unselfish to work towards the noble idea of Universal Brotherhood of Humanity.

My answer is YES. To work for Universal Brotherhood means real work. It
means to make a commitment to our True Self as our only Authority, and
listen to It.

>Let us brain storm on the above and any related and relevant items. May be
>we can learn from each other as to how we can more effectively work towards
>this noble idea of Brotherhood of Humanity.

I'm ready to brainstorm about the subject any time. It may be the only
subject worth the effort. Again, the motive behind all this should be
"search for Truth", not to win any battle.

>I welcome *all* discussion - from novices, experts, lurkers and all posters
>of messages.
>
>Cheers
>
>        MK Ramadoss

Thank you, Doss,