Rigidity/Flexibility

Apr 22, 1996 06:29 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Dear theos-l participants:

Lately I've been posting on Medit-l rather than theos-l, taking
more interest in reading others there, and thinking about how
theos-l reflects something in the character of the Theosophical
movement.  The bottom line is-- regardless of where they stand
on the liberal-conservative spectrum, Theosophists tend to be
inflexible.  How often does anyone post here along the lines of
"here's a new thought I never had before, a new book containing
information I never knew before, an emotional response I never
felt before"?  Mostly, people tend to just repeat their strong
allegiance to their own point of view, rather than yielding,
modifying, growing.  At least this is so in comparison to
Medit-l, which is full of people more interested in daily
practice than abstract theorizing, more concerned with
understanding others of different viewpoints than with
triumphing over them.  That keeps the list fresh and alive, at
least for now.  I wish theos-l would have more of that spirit.
So, a question I wish to throw out for discussion: What major
recent changes in thoughts, feelings, intuitions or sensations do we
have to share in relation to Theosophy?  Is anyone out there
deeply engaged in a *transformative* process that might inspire
someone else?  What is changing inside your head and heart?
Frankly, I am sick of reading people reiterate the same things
they've fervently believed for 5, 10, 15 or 30 years.  OK, I
already have figured out where you are *coming from*.  But
where are you going?